Ready to make some minish?
If you followed the steps in the introduction page, you should have downloaded and launched Minish Maker. You'll have been greeted with this window:
It's a bit empty in here.
This is the central window of the program and ties together all of the sub editors we offer. This window will look very blank to start with as you still need to open a project at this point. How do you open a project?!
The file menu deals with all the project management bits. From the top:
- New project. This will open up the project creation window.
- Open Project. Open a previously created Minish Maker project.
- Save Project. Commit your current changes to the project folder.
- Build Project. Saves and generates your romhack from it's source files.
- Exit. Hope this doesn't need explained!
Clicking on New Project opens the project creation wizard. From here, you need to enter the following information:
- Project Name. This will appear in the
.mmprojfilename, and the name of the generated ROM. This can be changed later if needed.
- Base ROM. Hit Browse and navigate to an unmodified copy of The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. This can be any version of the game (EU, JP, US).
- Project Location: A folder to save all the project files in. This helps keep the project tidy and portable.
Once you've entered the required information, hit Create Project. This will generate all of the required files, and create a copy of your supplied ROM in the project folder called
Clicking the Open project button will open up the file selection window. Navigate to where you saved your project, and double click on the file with the extension
Saves any changes made throughout the various windows, be sure to use this often.
This will apply all the change patches to a copy of the ROM you provided, and save it in the project folder with the name being the project name you supplied earlier. When building, Minish Maker will also save to make sure all your changes are taken into the new ROM.
Exits out of the application, pressing the X button in the top right has the same effect. Be sure to save your changes before doing this.